What Are TMJ Disorders and Its Symptoms?
There are numerous people who suffer from jaw pain and headaches. Even you may suffer from intense jaw pain that tends to start all of a sudden. These are the most common telltale symptoms of Temporomandibular Joint Disorder or Syndrome or TMJ. They are the same thing. Now let us know more about this condition. TMJ disorders can be defined as any problems or issues that hinder the proper function of the temporomandibular joint. This condition is identified and diagnosed by a dentist with the help of these common symptoms:
- Difficulty in opening or closing your mouth.
- Tenderness and pain in one or both temporomandibular joints.
- Mild to severe ache in or around the ears.
- Difficulty in chewing.
- Severe facial pain.
Additionally, TMJ disorders may also cause a grating sensation or clicking sounds at the time of opening and closing of the mouth. However, if you are looking for ways to deal with TMJ pain, then you should consult your family dentist as soon as possible.
What Are The Causes of This Disorder?
Now, let us try to know more about how this disorder is caused. The causes of TMJ disorders are not known. According to the assumptions of some dentists, the symptoms of this condition probably appear due to problems with the parts of the joint or muscles of the jaw. There can also be other factors that can cause this disorder. These factors can be environmental, genetic, and hormonal.
As per some recent studies, higher rates of TMJ disorders have been found in professional violinists who have to hold the instrument under their jaws. Apart from that, it has also been noted that it is mostly the women who suffer from this condition compared to the men. Therefore, the researchers are currently trying to find out whether this condition is caused by a particular kind of hormone. However, this disorder can also be caused by:
- Heavy blows or traumas to the Temporomandibular joint.
- Arthritis in one or both joints.
- Any kind of dental surgery.
- Some autoimmune diseases.
- Lastly, infection in the jawbones.
Five Things You Need To Know About This Disorder
Let us now take a look at the five things you may not know about this disorder:
- Firstly, the pain of TMJ is capable of spreading to the other parts of your body.
- Secondly, TMJ should not be referred to as a disorder as it is a body part.
- Thirdly, eating only soft and easily chewable foods can give you relief from this condition.
- Fourthly, stress is also linked to this condition. High levels of stress can make TMJ worse.
- Fifthly, natural remedies like chiropractic therapies can successfully cure TMJ issues.